About the Department:
About the Department
Mechatronics Engineering is a universal solution with the aim of streamlining and managing various processes involved across multiple verticals heavily reliant on manufacturing, designing, processing and analytics. Mechatronics is already central to the modern global economy. According to a study by the National Instruments Corporation, machine manufacturers all over the world report having to build machines that are increasingly more complex, yet have less and less time to market those machines. In response to this pressure, most design companies and manufacturers are relying increasingly on Mechatronics.
Mechatronics at Velammal Institute of Technology was established in the year 2020 to offer four year degree course with an initial intake of 90 students which helps in maintaining sustainable ecosystems through smarter & connected devices to create and capture activity data. The course integrates the wider range of systems from coffee makers to robotic systems. Ensuring the product makers to change the way, they design and create the adaptive systems. Merging mechatronics with other domain helps to create a major shift in designing smart machines from consumer products to aerospace. It contributes to the development of new technologies, automation, good practices in the industry, innovation of processes, products and systems. Micro-electromechanical systems are the basis of technological trends and market requirements. The department has 1Professor, 2 Associate Professors and 5 Assistant Professors in which 2 are pursuing their doctorates. We have labs such as Sensors and Instrumentation Laboratory, Applied Hydraulics & Pneumatics Laboratory, Industrial Automation Laboratory and many more. With our engineering coursework and project experience, our student’s innovative mindset and affinity for problem-solving, and history of successful team projects, we believe our students will be strong candidates. Most of our second, students show more enthusiasm to work in the field of product development. They were vigorously participating in various contests like Hackathon, Product Development and various hands-on-sessions related to control systems, 3D printing technology, Microprocessor and Micro-controllers etc.
- To impart knowledge and expertise in technical and scientific engineering for the integrated design and production of mechatronics products.
- To build the understanding of global industry and career opportunities at present and future scenario.
- To encourage the students to develop their problem solving and research skills based on interdisciplinary approach.
- To engage in collaborative research with faculties and scientists on future-oriented topics of mechatronics, robotics and AI.
- To prepare the students to be proactive in creating the Start-Up Ecosystem.
- To facilitate the students to pursue higher education with good communication skills in the field of mechatronics engineering
The Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) support and are in consonance with the Mission of the Department. The attempt was to define PEOs as broad based, general statements that describe the career and professional accomplishments that the program is preparing graduates to achieve long term program targets.
- Bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering curriculum is designed to prepare the graduates having attitude and knowledge to
- Develop innovative and sustainable products with multidisciplinary Engineering expertise.
- Solve complex engineering problems by applying mechanical, electrical and computer knowledge and engage in lifelong learning in their profession.
- Work or pursue higher education in multicultural, multilingual and multinational environment with competent oral and written communication.
- Lead and contribute in a team entrusted with professional, social and ethical responsibilities.
- To develop entrepreneurial skills with ethical and human values.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
Multi-disciplinary Engineering: Analyse the real-world needs and design the mechatronics system using the knowledge on multi domain engineering elements and integrated software tools.
Enhancement and up gradation: Analyse conventional functions and process of various engineering elements and propose automation solution for enhanced performance of conventional systems.
System integration, Automated Solution and connectivity: Familiarization on sensing, interfacing, controlling, actuating, communicating and analysing the data through various subsystems.