About the Department
The program in Electrical & Electronics Engineering is one of the premier undergraduate programs offered by the Velammal Institute of Technology. The department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering was established in the year 2008 with the intake of 60 UG students. The department has well qualified, faculty members with 3 doctorates, 4 of them pursuing PhD with others being post graduates. The department consist of well-equipped laboratories like Electrical Machines lab, Power electronics and drives lab, control and instrumentation lab, Electronics lab, power system simulation lab and the latest addition being Renewable energy lab. Our department has NI Lab viewcentre in collaboration with National Instruments, Bangalore established in the year 2018.
The department has consistent pass percentage and placement from the inception. In 2018 our students has bagged 5 University ranks. Our department has conducted Anna University sponsored FDP in Basic Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation in the year 2018.The department organizes Industrial visits, Guest lectures and arranges Industrial internship every year for the students to provide industrial exposure.Our department has signed MoU with Livewire, EPR Labs, and CDCE HP Automation.
Vision of the Department
To produce highly competent Electrical Engineers and Researchers to fulfil the technological needs of society through innovation and product development
Mission of Department
- M – 1 : To educate graduates with fundamental principles to acquire advanced technical knowledge in domains of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- M – 2 : To provide a progressive environment for innovative creations and rigorous practical training through creative activities in conventional and thrust areas of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
- M – 3 : To inculcate Societal and Ethical values among the faculties and students.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO – 1 : Graduates of the program will have successful technical and professional career.
- PEO – 2 : Graduates of the program will reveal life-long learning to enhance technical skills and Managerial skills.
- PEO – 3 : Graduates of the program will undertake societal responsibilities with ethical practice.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- PSO – 1 : Ability to design and solve problems in the field of Electrical & Electronics Engineering by applying the knowledge acquired from Circuit & Field theory, Control theory, Electric Power Systems, Analog and Digital Electronics & other allied topics.
- PSO – 2 : Ability to understand the recent technological developments in Electrical & Electronics Engineering and develop products/software to cater the societal & Industrial needs.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.